New Bat Mobile

We have been exceptionally busy over the last few months hence not many Blog posts. Now that our show season has ended there is a few months to get going and build some new feature props. One of the film cars that I have wanted to do was the 95 Bat mobile mainly because there simply are not many of them around, if any in the UK or Europe.
As always I was not interested in building a replica, but something unique based on the 95 Kilmer Batmobile. What I wanted to build was a cross between the 95 Bat mobile, and Mad Max Steampunk monster. The Artist H.R.Giger was also a massive influence in building this car.
It would be created from flat plate alloy and steel and based on a Toyota MR2 Roadster.
The donor car unfortunately was not quite the right shape so it had to be seriously modified as you can see in the pictures. In the end the car almost ending up being scratch built.

One of the issues was to get the correct wheel base, both length and width. The easies way to get the width was to simply stack up the wheels and run two wheels on each corner. The over all effect seems to work well plus the car still dives ok. The length was a bit more of a problem. I managed stretch without any serious chases cutting which would prove to be ok in the end. The only alternative would have been to take the front end of and extend it by 500mm which was just to much trouble.
Once the beautiful MR2 was torn to pieces and as much weight reduced as I can the  wheels were added.
Now it was ready for the steel subframe to be welded into place. This was made from lightweight 1" box section steel which the Aluminium would eventually be bolted.

The next stages would be to start to add the Alloy sheets and start to sculpt with it to build up the shape I wanted. Now the fun starts and hours of bolting and hammering metal.

The main fins at the back are made from wood laminated with several layers of fibreglass. They would eventually be topcoat with Black gel coat then painted.
The rear after burner started life as two garden burners from the local garden centre.

The overall car is now 7ft wide and 23 ft long. Weight is estimated at 1,300kgs

After three coats of grey etch primer, three coats of Stain Black top coat we have arrived here. 
The LED's are now being added all over. They will be over 500 LED's on this vehicle.

We have decided to call the car the 95Spider

Next is the interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment